Sunday 26 May 2013

DOCTOR PASSION RELATIONSHIPS

"I am trying to play; don't confuse me with work" my apologies to Plato
This is an excellent counterpoint to the last episode. Burnout happens when things are imbalanced. Our doctors in this episode show us that finding your passion(s) and spending time pursuing it often balances your life. I have canvassed my colleagues and the list is long. There are doctors who sing, dance, play musical instruments, build Lego robots or full size cars, run, ski, sew, read, travel, go to church or mosque to pray, watch TV or jump out of planes. This is not an exhaustive list just a smattering of activities. All of the doctors I met who had hobbies, outside pursuits, or passions were more relaxed, happier, balanced, and conversant.

“Doctors do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.”my apologies to Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr
Dr. Ronald Weiss is a self made man. Musician for years before even contemplating medical school. Slowly and with persistence, he became a pioneer in no scalpel vasectomy (those words are music to the ears of squeamish men contemplating the path to sterility not castration). Canada's leading vasectomy doctor manages over 2000 procedures a year so he can follow his true passion - singer/songwriter/musician. And he is very good too! Within minutes of our conversation, I had lyrical pieces filled with soul and beat. He is a true gentleman. In fact, he thanked me for inviting him to the show. I enjoyed his passionate approach to music, life and love.

Dr. Eoghan O'Shea is a mentor to me. A prince among family doctors who is a well balanced and organized professor at the Civic branch of the Department of Family Medicine University of Ottawa. He treats all around him with respect and fatherly guidance. He is a strong Christian going to church regularly. He is participant in his Irish roots by playing a tin flute and dancing. He is an avid golfer. These passions enrich his life and allow him to unwind from the stressors of his professional demands. Faiza and I enjoyed his zeal for life and all things family.

You will hear performances from them.

You will understand that activities that challenge you, excite you, calm you or teach you are all empowering. You will understand that being human is making mistakes. And if you are lucky enough to find a passion that gives you happiness, you will never let it go from your life.

I look forward to bringing their stories to you.
Humbly, DR. A squared.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment